Storia e origini della cantina Coppo

THE HISTORY OF COPPO IS INEXTRICABLY LINKED WITH THE HISTORY OF WINE IN PIEDMONT AND PARTICULARLY TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF CANELLI, THE BIRTHPLACE AND CAPITAL OF ITALIAN SPARKLING WINE, STILL ONE OF ITALY’S MOST IMPORTANT WINEGROWING TOWNS TODAY.

The origins of Coppo date back to 1892, making it one of the oldest wineries in Italy. Old enough to be included, in 2012, by Unioncamere in the national register of historical enterprises with over a century of uninterrupted activity in the same sector.

The company’s founder was Piero Coppo, who immediately laid the foundations for a constant commitment to uncompromising quality, personally overseeing operations in the vineyard, followed by the crushing and vinification of the grapes, through to ageing.

In those days, Canelli was a fundamentally important marketplace for Piedmontese grapes, a meeting point for both winegrowers and winemakers. It was here, in the second half of the 19th century, that the first Italian bottle-fermented sparkling wine was born. Produced using the same method as Champagne and made from Moscato grapes, it was destined to change Italian winemaking history and make the city a centre of reference, capable of developing a cutting-edge international wine industry.

In Canelli, Piero married Clelia Pennone, heir to the Pio Pennone cellars, a renowned winemaking and exporting firm that had already been in business for two generations. The Coppo cellars, situated in the centre of Canelli, were joined by the Pennone premises, built between Via Giuliani and Via Alba, now the company’s headquarters.

It is here that, as of the 18th century, those tunnels and underground passages that are now known as Underground Cathedrals, declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2024 for their historical significance and beauty, were dug out of the tufa by hand.

Two of the winery’s most prestigious labels, produced in limited editions, are dedicated to Piero and Clelia: Alta Langa Piero Coppo Riserva del Fondatore and Rosé Metodo Classico Clelia Coppo.

Coppo - Cantina storica a Canelli, dal 1892

COPPO WAS ALREADY EXPORTING AND SHIPPING ITS WINES ALL OVER THE WORLD AT THE BEGINNING OF THE 20th CENTURY.

Production ranged from sparkling wines to the typical red wines of Piedmont, most notably Barbera. These were joined by Vermouth, an aromatised beverage made from wine that became a social phenomenon and a milestone in the history of aperitifs and cocktails between the 19th and early 20th centuries.

As the decades went by, the company’s reputation grew, accompanied by an increasing awareness of its identity and a focus on quality: greater care in the vineyard, lower yields thanks to bunch thinning, elimination of pesticides and growing attention to cellar processes.

Following the example of the French vignerons, the winery launched its first experiments with the use of small oak barrels, capable of conveying great complexity, elegance and longevity to both red and white wines. The 1980s were decisive for the rebirth of Barbera: and Coppo was the standard-bearer of that rebirth. 1984 was the first vintage of what was destined to become the company’s signature wine, Pomorosso.

In 2014, the Coppo cellars were recognised by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site.

In 2017, the journey towards the finest expression of the Barbera grape variety continued. Coppo promotes the specificities of the vineyards owned in the Nizza appellation, which was acknowledged in 2014.
Following the entry of the new ownership in 2021, investments are growing in the Langhe with Nebbiolo vines, and with new acquisitions in some of the Langhe’s finest cru vineyards for the production of Barolo.

130 years on, the quest for quality, respect for tradition and the ambition to achieve excellence continue to be the winery’s founding values.

The story - Coppo
The story - Coppo
The story - Coppo
The story - Coppo
The story - Coppo
The story - Coppo
The story - Coppo
The story - Coppo
The story - Coppo